Call Us: (403) 536-DCIC (3242)     Email Us:

Work Visa

Work Visa

Canada admits over 90,000 temporary foreign workers each year. These workers help fill Canada’s labour shortage. Most temporary workers require work authorization, but some do not.

Discover Canada Immigration Consulting firm provides full range of services related to obtaining Canadian work permits. We assist business corporations and non-profit organisations in obtaining Canadian work permits for their employees, and we also assist individuals to obtain Canadian work permits.

Individuals who are neither Canadian Citizens nor Permanent Residents of Canada will, in most cases, require a work permit to work in Canada.

Canadian work permit may be issued at the Canadian Border or within Canada, depending on circumstances. Many foreign nationals from countries that do not have visa waiver agreement with Canada will also require a work visa to come to Canada.

To apply for a Canada work permit, you must meet the following general requirements:

  • Receive a job offer from a Canadian employer in a qualifying occupation;
  • Obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (your employer must do this)
  • Satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized period;
  • Show that you have enough money to support yourself and any accompanying family members for the duration of your stay in Canada;
  • Prove that you have no criminal history, or any serious medical conditions.
  • Special Categories of Workers

    Some workers have additional specific requirements that they must meet before they are eligible for a Canada work permit. The following occupations have their own special requirements:

    • Information Technology Workers
    • Live-in Caregivers
    • Business People
      • Work permit application for business people and professionals under the provisions of international free trade agreements, such as:

        • North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
        • Canada – Chile Free Trade Agreement (CCFTA)
        • Canada – Colombia Free Trade Agreement
        • Canada – Peru Free Trade Agreement
        • General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)

    Information for Canadian Employers

    The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) provides Canadian employers with an opportunity to fill immediate skills and labour shortages. DCIConsulting specializes in Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) approvals and work permits for Canadian employers seeking to hire foreign workers.

    Canadian employers may hire foreign workers on a temporary basis to fill positions when Canadians and permanent residents are not available. Canadian employers may recruit workers from any country into any lawful occupation as long as both the Canadian employer and the foreign worker meet the specified requirements of the TFWP program.

    A formal application must be made to the province where the foreign worker is expected to work. Upon receiving the approval, the foreign worker may submit his/her application for a Canada work permit.

    Canadian Employers must:

    • Demonstrate they have made reasonable efforts to employ Canadians and/or permanent residents;
    • Provide a genuine job offer and proper working conditions to the foreign worker; and
    • Pay the foreign worker the prevailing wage for the position offered.

    The foreign worker must meet requirements which include:

    • proving their past work experience;
    • passing a language proficiency test;
    • passing a criminal background check; and,
    • in some cases, a medical examination may be required.

    In some cases, a Canada work permit may be issued for a Canadian employer to hire a temporary foreign worker without an LMIA. These cases are limited to specific situations such as international agreements, certain co-op placements for international students, and several other exceptions. For more information and to find out if you meet the qualifications for a work permit without an LMIA, contact our office to assess your eligibility.

    In the majority of cases, a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is required before a Canadian employer can hire the temporary foreign worker. Canadian employers may apply for LMIAs for one or more available positions within the company. If you require a foreign worker to fill an urgent position for which you are unable to find Canadian citizens or permanent residents then you may apply for an expedited LMIA.

    Discover Canada Immigration Consulting will assist the foreign worker in gathering, completing and filing all of the necessary documentation required for a temporary work permit. Once all of the necessary information has been submitted and the foreign worker has been determined to meet all admissibility requirements, he or she will receive their temporary work permit and may begin their employment with the Canadian employer.

    Please note that any foreign workers who are approved a work permit are authorized to work only for the employer that “sponsored” them. Canadian employers can be sure that if an employee leaves the company or gets laid off; their work permit is no longer valid. In cases such as this, the onus is on the foreign worker to secure another job offer; otherwise they must leave Canada.

    Canadian employers who wish to hire a foreign worker who is already employed with another Canadian employer must follow the same steps in order to obtain the necessary work permit for the foreign worker. Additionally, if you are a Canadian employer with offices outside of Canada and wish to bring a foreign worker from an international office into a Canadian office, you must also apply for and receive a positive LMIA. However, the application process is different for each one of these cases so it is best to have the assistance of an experienced immigration consultant when applying for an LMIA or work permit for temporary foreign workers.

    Canadian employers who are unable to find Canadian workers to fill high skilled occupations in their company may benefit from hiring temporary foreign workers. Our certified immigration consultants can answer all of your questions about the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Contact our office today to speak with an immigration adviser and begin the process of hiring foreign workers to fill labour shortages within your Canadian company.

Back to Top